Friday, August 26, 2011

Kakariki by Katie


A long time ago, in the bush there were two birds, Kaka and Kakariki.  Kaka was jealous of Kakariki’s twinkling red feathers.  “If only I had Kakariki’s feathers,” grumbled Kaka.  Kaka’s feathers were a grotesque brown colour.  All the birds longed to have Kakariki’s feathers.  Kakariki wasn’t a show off but he often saw eyes gazing at him and day dreaming that they had hid feathers.  Kaka had an evil plan to get Kakariki’s feathers wash over him.  “Now,” he said slyly, “where is that Kakariki?”  Searching for Kakariki was easy, he just had to look for a flashing red blur flapping in the sky.  He soon caught up with Kakariki.  “You know everyone dislikes your feathers,” exclaimed Kaka.  “Really?” cried Kakariki.  “As a matter of fact they hate your feathers,” lied Kaka.  “What should I do?” wailed Kakariki.  “Well… you could take all your feathers off,” whistled Kaka happily.  “Where should I put them?” asked Kakariki.  “Tell you what, if you give me your feathers I’ll hide them under my wings where no one will see them,” Kaka sang.  “Thank you, oh thank you,” cried Kakariki and he happily gave away his feathers.  He then hid in the bush for he was naked.  Kaka tucked away Kakariki’s feathers and flapped off to find the other birds.  When he found them he lifted his wings showing the shiny red feathers that lay within.  “Hey look at me, I’m so beautiful,” twittered Kaka.  “Wow,” tweeted the other birds, “they’re beautiful”.  “Aren’t they just?” sang Kaka walking away.  “Hey those are my feathers,” cried Kakariki.  “You gave them to me,” whistled Kaka strutting away.  “But you lied,” said Kakariki, “you were just jealous of me.”  “Whatever,” mumbled Kaka flying away.  “Oh well,” sighed Kakariki, “at least I’ll grow the red feathers back again.”  But Kakariki was wrong.  He grew jade green feathers.  Kakariki liked these feathers but nothing could replace his beautiful red feathers.  Even now when you see him he’s still singing, “Kaka, give me back my feathers!”

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous narrative Katie - you have a very strong plot with some great writer's voice! Your next step would be to start trying to use paragraphs. Mrs Wood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic writing Katie. You held my attention from beginning til end. A lovely choice of words throughout. I am very proud of you. Gillian x

    ReplyDelete